Digbeth First Friday – July 2014
When: Friday 4th July, 17:00-late
Where: Various venues across Digbeth
Digbeth First Friday returns this week, celebrating independence with exhibitions, late-night openings, special events, culture in unexpected places, live music, street food and more.
First Friday offers variety, mystery and quality with a plethora of activity:
- Join The Bond Co for an evening of summer fun with craft beer, whisky, summer punch, BBQ food and fabulous live acoustic music (17:00-23:00)
- A3 Projects presents Record Player Orchestra and Sellotape Cinema at Vivid Projects.
Experiment with playing a record player as a musical instrument and create Kaleidoscopic visuals with electric and mechanical devices made by Sellotape Cinema! The drop-in workshop runs from 6pm followed by a live performance at 8pm (18:00-21:30)
- A3 Projects also host an exhibition of Oliver Jones’ work, entitled Love The Skin You’re In – see more at the Birmingham Post website(18:00-20:00)
- Join Grand Union for their annual Open Studios event, giving you the chance to peek behind the scenes and see what their artists are currently working on. They’ll also be keeping their Gallery doors open until 8pm, giving you another opportunity to see A Diffuse Citizen by Holly Antrum.
- Eastside Projects opens late with two new exhibitions: Only a Free Individual Can Create a Free Society by Grace Schwindt and Pleasure, Devotion, Balance presented by Mexico in the second gallery (18:00-21:00)
- Stryx presents a group exhibition featuring 11 Midlands-based artists who were born outside of the UK. Their work explores themes of language, identity, culture and origin (18:00-21:00)
- A 50th anniversary screening of Stanley Kubrick’s Dr Strangelove on The Giant Screen at Millennium Point (19:30-21:15)
- Flatpack Film Festival converts Edible Eastside’s canalside garden into an al fresco cinema, serving hot dogs and beer and screening one of the finest – and strangest – movies of the 1980s: Alex Cox’s LA punk sci-fi classic REPO MAN (20:30-23:30)
- Friction Arts presents a selection of side-splitting short films by Brummies, about Brum, with performance interludes from Friction’s Fabarray Crew at The Edge as part of the two-day international short film festival, Over The Fence (18:30-21:30)
- The Cobalt Blue Contemporary Arts presents United States of Art – an exhibition of visual, performance and installation art at The Lakeside Gallery, Custard Factory (12:00-22:00)
Remember to pick up a Disloyalty Card and collect stamps from ten different participating venues to trade for treats!
For more information and to join in, visit the Digbeth First Friday website.